Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pumpkin Muffin Trials

My mother has always made the most wonderful pumpkin bread, so I am using that as my starting recipe. I am trying to make it into muffins that are a little bit healthier, but still as delicious. 

Here is the original recipe:

Mom's Pumpkin Bread
3 cup sugar
1 cup corn oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 can (15oz) pumpkin
3 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg

Mix sugar, oil and eggs.
Add pumpkin and mix well.
Add flour/spices and mix well. 
Pour into greased loaf pans.
3 large size foil pans, bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes
5 small loaf pans, bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes


I cut the recipe in half, so now it makes about 12 average size muffins. Then I added some bran, cut down the sugar and substituted lowfat buttermilk for half the oil. They turned out pretty well. Next time I think I might try adding a little molasses to see what that would do. 

Pumpkin Bran Muffins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree

1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup bran buds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Mix bran cereal with buttermilk and let soften for 5 minutes.  
Mix together remaining dry ingredients and set aside.
Mix sugars, oil and eggs, add bran/buttermilk.
Add dry ingredients and mix.

Bake in greased muffin tins for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. 

No comments: