Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Buttermilk Bran Muffins
















My current project is to try to find a bran muffin that even my husband and kids will like. They are all pretty much a strictly "blueberry muffin with streusel crowd".  

The first one I tried was from the "Fiber One" website, since that was the brand of bran cereal that I had in the cupboard. They turned out pretty well. My husband liked them a lot but the kids were not too convinced. I did change a few things in the recipe, so you can see the original recipe on their site if you like. The second time I made these I added raisins and now even the kids love them.

I would definitely make these again. They are great to have around when you want a snack or a breakfast to grab on the go. 

Buttermilk Bran Muffins
1 3/4 cup bran cereal
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup raisons

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. 
2. Crush the cereal in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, or in the food processor, which is much easier. In a bowl, stir the cereal, buttermilk and vanilla together until well mixed. Beat in the oil and egg.
3. In another bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add to the cereal mixture until just moistened. Add raisins.
4. Spoon into 12 muffin cups, greased with cooking spray.
5. Bake 18-22 minutes 

No comments: